Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Traditions

Traditions are really important to our history. I think that without traditions our world would be totally different than it is today. One tradition that I love is St. Nicholas Day. This tradition was started to remind children that Santa Claus is in fact St. Nicholas. St Nicholas was a bishop in the city Myra which is now Turkey. St. Nicholas was a kind generous man who always was willing to help those who were in need. He is the patron saint of children because of all the love he showed to kids. A St. Nicholas celebration is when presents are put in children’s shoes. Children can leave their shoe outside their door or by the fireplace just like a stocking. It is said that if the child was good he or she will receive candy and coins, but if the child was bad the only gift will be coal or dirt. The day when this occurs is December 6th. Many families of Christian religion celebrate this tradition. Now a days many German families celebrate this tradition. Parents think this gives children something special before Christmas actually comes. It gives them something to look forward to every year when they technically get an early Christmas gift.

Personally I love this tradition. Every since I can remember my family and I have participated in St. Nicholas Day. I never kept track of the date December 6th, but I do remember my mom always saying don’t forget to put a shoe outside your door before you go to sleep. My siblings and I always put a shoe outside our bedroom door. Sometimes we would even put out two shoes to try to get more from St. Nicholas, but St. Nicholas(my parents) caught on. Once we put the shoe outside the door I would sit in my bed and wait till I heard St. Nicholas. It never worked because I always fell asleep before St. Nicholas came to put candy in my shoe. I really like this tradition because I have grown up with it and not doing it would be weird. So even though I am 18 I still put a shoe outside my room and my mom fills it with candy or small presents & I honestly cant wait to go home for Christmas so I can put my shoe outside my bedroom door. When I have a family of my own I want to start this tradition and have my children keep it going. It is very important to keep traditions going so that people have little bit of history. Even though St. Nicholas doesn’t really put candy and presents in our shoes our parents do, it is still cool to think that it has been happening for so many years.

1 comment:

  1. My family always celebrated St. Nick's night also. It was just one of those traditions that really made Christmas a little more fun. I've never celebrated a traditional Christmas with my family. We always go up to Wisconsin so we would write a letter to Santa asking him to come early. So St. Nick's night was a tradition that was always stable, and not just a weekend we picked for Santa to come. No matter what day of the week it fell on, St. Nick always visited. It's the stable Christmas I never get and something i can look forward to every year.

    ReplyDelete

When you leave a message, remember:

You will also receive 5 points for commenting on the post of a fellow classmate. This is meant to encourage thoughtful responses and a dialogue on the topics we are discussing. Any inappropriate or unethical comments will have repercussions. Your comment must be between 75-100 words.